- Community Development
- Fair Housing
HUD Complaint Line
To file a Federal Fair Housing Complaint contact HUD's Fair Housing Complaint Intake, at 800-765-9372 or visit the HUD website and click the "File a Complaint" tab.
You may also file a local Fair Housing Complaint by contacting the City's Community Development Division (see below). Additionally, you may file a State Fair Housing Complaint by contacting the Ohio Civil Rights Commission (OCRC) at 888-278-7101 or by visiting the OCRC website and clicking the 'Filing a Charge' tab.
Fair Housing, It's Your Right!
The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) enforces the Fair Housing Act which protects you against violations of your housing rights. The Fair Housing Act prohibits discrimination in housing because of:
- National origin
- Familial status (including children under the age of 18 living with parents or legal custodians; pregnant women and people securing custody of children under 18)
The Fair Housing Act covers most housing with very few exceptions. It prohibits discrimination in the sale and rental of housing and in mortgage lending.
The state of Ohio provides additional covered Fair Housing classes, which are:
- Military Status
The City of Bowling Green provides this additional covered Fair Housing class:
- Source of Income
What Is Prohibited
No one may take any of the following actions based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status, or handicap:
- Refuse to rent or sell housing
- Refuse to negotiate for housing
- Make housing unavailable
- Deny a dwelling
- Set different terms, conditions, or privileges for sale or rental of a dwelling
- Provide different housing services or facilities
- Falsely deny that housing is available for inspection, sale, or rental
- For profit, persuade owners to sell or rent (blockbusting)
- Deny anyone access to or membership in a facility or service (such as a multiple listing service) related to the sale or rental of housing
- Refuse to make a mortgage loan
- Refuse to provide information regarding loans
- Impose different terms or conditions on a loan
- Discriminate in appraising property
- Refuse to purchase a loan
- Set different terms or conditions for purchasing a loan
- Refuse to let you make reasonable modifications to your dwelling or common use areas, at your expense, if necessary for a person with a disability to use the housing (where reasonable, the landlord may permit changes only if you agree to restore the property to its original condition when you move)
- Refuse to make reasonable accommodations in rules, policies, practices, or services if necessary for a person with a disability to use the housing
Make a Complaint
If you are a resident of the City of Bowling Green we are ready to help you with any problem of housing discrimination. If you think your rights have been violated you may contact us at:
City of Bowling Green
Attn: Community Development Division
304 N Church Street
Bowling Green, OH 43402
Ohio Relay Network: 800-750-0750
Email the Community Development Division
You may also print the Fair Housing Complaint Form - English (PDF) or Fair Housing Complaint Form - Spanish (PDF) and bring it or mail it to the same address.
Landlord / Tenant Information
Information provided by the Ohio State Bar Association regarding Tenant/Landlord rights and obligations is available on the Ohio State Bar Association website.
Unlawful Discrimination Prohibited
The United States Department of Housing and Urban Development prohibits unlawful discrimination in federally assisted programs based on your race, color, national origin, religion, sex, family status, or disability.